Monthly Archive: November 2014

The Story You’ve Heard About The QWERTY Keyboard Is Probably Wrong

The development and the popularity of the standard QWERTY keyboard has absolutely nothing to do with the traditional story of developing a key arrangement on early typewriters that had keys far enough apart that they wouldn’t stick together. Instead, the actual origins of the keyboard are a little murky. It’s suggested now that it has more to do with Morse code than it does with mechanical necessity—the arrangement of the letters keeps certain ones together based on how they begin in the Morse code alphabet.

The Difference Between Mist, Fog, Smog, Haze And Vog

There are a lot of different names for that stuff that causes reduced visibility—and an agonizingly long commute—in the morning. Mist and fog are caused by water droplets in the air, and the only difference is how far you can see. Haze is the reflection of sunlight off air pollution, while smog is what happens when pollution causes low-lying ozone. And vog only happens when a nearby volcano is releasing sulfur dioxide into the air to react with what’s already there.

The Modern Greeks Who Still Worship Zeus

Sixteen centuries ago, Christianity finally came to Greece, sweeping away the old religions. Today, around 98 percent of Greeks identify themselves as Orthodox Christians, with the remaining 2 percent mostly made up of Muslims and a handful of Jews. Yet there‚Äôs a growing number of Greeks who oppose the Abrahamic religions—not in favor of Hinduism, Buddhism, or even atheism, but in favor of Zeus.

The Mysterious Disappearance Of JFK’s Brain

In 1963, John F. Kennedy was assassinated, and his brain was locked away in the National Archives. However, three years later, government officials discovered the president’s brain had disappeared without a trace. Needless to say, the disappearance of JFK’s organ has given rise to some pretty crazy conspiracy theories.

Why The Center Of The Universe Is In Idaho

Wallace, Idaho is one of a handful of town in Idaho’s Silver Valley region, famous for not only its silver mining but also for other chemicals and compounds that no one has been able to satisfactorily prove to the EPA are harmless. Since the EPA has said that if things can’t be satisfactorily disproved then they must be, in fact, proved, Wallace has declared itself the Center of the Universe. It’s never been disproved that it’s not the center, so therefore … it is.

Jewish People Were Forced To Become Moneylenders

The conspiracies about Jewish bankers go back a long way and are so ingrained that even many people who are not anti-Semitic buy into the theory. Historically, there have been many Jewish people involved in banking, but it was never a conspiracy. In actuality, due to usury laws prescribed by the Jewish scriptures, the Jewish people were considered the logical choice to handle the moneylending. To make matters worse, many Jewish people were barred from other occupations, so they had to take what they could get.

The Exciting Future Of Hoverboard Technology

If you’ve watched the Back to the Future trilogy, then you probably remember the iconic hoverboard that Marty McFly rides. For the longest time, people thought this technology was impossible, but we may soon have truly functioning hoverboards on the market. The board currently in development uses magnetic fields to make the board hover about an inch above the ground with a fully grown human standing on it, although it can only work over non-ferrous metallic surfaces because of the magnets.